Author Topic: is return of pain ans swelling normal after treatment  (Read 21757 times)

cp92

• View Profile
is return of pain ans swelling normal after treatment
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
I had swelling and most pain gone from my injury - about a 3 month old injury adn about 2 weeks mostly pain free.
I used the bfst treatment twice ( first time used) in one day and the next day the swelling and pain had returned to what it was about a month ago. I also felt tingling in the area of injury.  Is this normal? I stopped after that one day and have been icing and a week later still some swelling and pain.
For reference my injury is sesamoiditis. So it involves both the tendons and bones in ball of foot.

CS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • King Brand Healthcare Products
Re: is return of pain ans swelling normal after treatment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
Tingling is normal but with sesamoiditis or (tendinitis) yes pain and swelling can re-occur. Generally you would stop the activity that started all this and stop the BFST for now and apply cold to the area off and on during the day for at least 3-4 days before trying the BFST again. You would also wear a more soft soled shoe and or cushion to the area for stress relief. If you must return to the activity that caused this do it gradually and slowly as inflammation and swelling can keep coming back. I would suggest longer periods of rest and elevation and cold therapy giving it more time to heal with less irritation. If it does not you may need to go back to your doctor and get a reassessment as to weather you may need to splint or brace it until it heals. I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

dti

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: is return of pain ans swelling normal after treatment
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
This is a very good example that even when the pain and swelling are gone, the underlying issue is usually far from healed.

It appears that the stimulation provided by the BFST was more than the injury was ready for.  It is not uncommon for people to make the mistake thinking that "if some is good, more is better".  This thought process causes people to start their treatments on level 3 from day 1.  It is very important to start your BFST treatments at level 1 and only move to the next level after a period of several treatments where the warmth of the treatment becomes much less noticeable.  Very few people ever move past level 2 even after a year of use.  The instructions indicate that even on level 1, if the area gets quite warm then to stop and just do shortened (5 - 10 minute) treatments for the first little while.  Over treatment can result in aggravated symptoms of pain and swelling.

There is nothing wrong with just doing a 5 minute treatment on level 1 the first time you use a BFST.  If your body is good with it, you can increase the treatment time and power level gradually over subsequent treatments.  When you are well on your way to being healed, you will be able to give yourself 20 minute treatments at level 2 without issue.  Even at that point you may not be fully healed, but you will definitely be well on the road.

If your symptoms get worse following BFST, this does mean you need to let up on treatments though.  You have to give your body time to heal as well.  This particular user had an injury that only stopped hurting after 3 months.  That generally indicates full healing will take over 1 year!  In the case of severe injury this can be the case.  BFST is designed to help and accelerate the healing process.  With serious injury, even with BFST, the process can still take some time.  Ultimately though, the most serious injuries can still heal with the proper care.

Respect the pain - it is there to guide you.  Be vigilant.  Be patient.  You can get better.