Author Topic: Not sure if this BFST is working as it should  (Read 44940 times)

andyhandyman

• View Profile
Not sure if this BFST is working as it should
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
Hello KingBrand,
I just started using the BFST Shoulder Wrap a few days ago, and I hope it helps heal my torn tendon. It is certainly too early to judge the effectiveness of BFST.
But, I noticed something peculiar as I’m operating the wrap, which raises some questions and concerns.
There is a very, very, low volume tone being generated from the actual “diathermic” device that behaves in a peculiar fashion which I describe a few sentences later. I just want to know if this is normal. I’m actually surprised that I found no information about this peculiar sound anywhere on the internet or this forum. I’m a musician and a sound engineer… so maybe that is the reason I would notice such a thing.  Again… this is VERY low in volume, and it is really NOT bothersome at all. If anything, it just makes me curious.

Anyway, and more specifically, I believe I hear 4 distinct tones (possibly 5) that appear monophonically (never more than one note/tone at a time) in some kind of patterned sequence. My ears tell me they are very close to the following frequencies >110hz, 220hz, 440hz, and 880hz< which are essentially the musical note "A" split in octaves.
When I first power up the wrap, usually 2 notes tend to jump back and forth approx. every 3 to 5 seconds, between what I think are the 220hz and 440hz tones.  After several minutes, I may hear the tone jump to either the highest 880hz, or the lowest 110hz frequency, and hold for perhaps several minutes.  After that... the tones will engage in a variety of sequences until the end of the 20 minute session.
The pattern does seem different depending on the setting chosen.
Something concerns me… and makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the controller (the unit that has the of 3 setting buttons). When I have tried setting #3, there are at least a couple spans of time where I hear absolutely nothing for what seems to last a minute or more, compared to settings #1 or #2, in which I may notice a couple silent gaps that only last a few seconds.  I should also point out, although there seems to be a subtle “healing” feeling that I experience… I do not feel or sense anything DIFFERENT between the 3 settings in my shoulder, which is not what I would expect.
Perhaps... this is an unusual request to explain some questions which perhaps only your engineers/R&D department can answer.  But, I would like to know that the controller is working properly between all 3 settings, and that these “musical” tones are also a normal thing.

Oh BTW… I’m not crazy… my wife hears them as well! LOL
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:53:53 PM by andyhandyman »

dti

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if this BFST is working as it should
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
LOL, that's awesome Andy!  You are not crazy, some of the units do 'sing' a bit when they operate.  The shoulder one in particular get's noticed the most because it's so close to people's ears.  I'd say most people don't even notice.  Your highly tuned ear pays attention!

Yes, the device is much more sophisticated than just being on or off.  The BFST actively modulates the treatment to get the best results.  We don't really discuss the underlying operation too much because how works really isn't as important as what it does so we try to focus on the results rather than the method. 

I'm an electrical engineer who participated in the design and it's interesting to hear your sound engineer interpretation of what we are trying to achieve.  I like it!  From what you've described your device is functioning perfectly.  There are definitely modes where the sound is more or less noticeable and sometimes you can't hear it at all but it is still working.  And you are also correct that the audible sounds will not be the same 'song' for the 3 different settings.  Each setting is optimized for best results.  As you can tell, a 20 minute treatment goes through a fairly complex routine.  Over the years we've made many changes, constantly trying to improve the performance of the device.  Today's 'song' is the result of many years of R&D and it's the best tune we know for your shoulder today.

In terms of the feeling you get on the 3 settings, more is not necessarily better.  People often want to jump to level 3 when they get it thinking more is better.  But if the higher setting causes too much blood flow at the surface of your skin then that pooling blood actually forms a barrier to the energy getting to the underlying tissue.  We always recommend people use it on the lowest setting and only move up when they don't feel the warmth during treatment anymore and when after a 20 minute treatment their skin is not noticeably flushed.  As your body's blood flow improves in the treatment area, these things will diminish and you can move up another level.  Only people who use our products for a year or more and are relatively healthy are likely to use it on lvl 3.  When you jump to level 3 you're pumping up the volume but your body is responding by putting cottonballs in your ears (sending blood to the surface).

Your senses are not deceiving you, Andy.  It sounds like your Shoulder wrap is working properly and so is your body's response!

I hope you get better soon :)

Scott